City Fire Rescue issues reminder about home-heating safety
Published: Monday, January 12, 2009 at 3:31 p.m.
Last Modified: Monday, January 12, 2009 at 3:31 p.m.
The combination of approaching freezing weather and a weekend house
fire has prompted Gainesville Fire Rescue to issue a reminder about
Shortly after 8 a.m. Sunday, GFR was dispatched to a house fire at 913
SE 9th Place. Firefighters said that when they arrived the home's
attic was on fire. It took about 13 minutes to extinguish the fire,
according to spokeswoman Carol Davis.
Fire investigators said it appeared the fire broke out in the attic of
the 1,800 square foot home near the chimney and foul play is not
suspected. Damage to the home was estimated at $7,000, Davis said.
Ulysses and Lula Moore and their young nephew had been living in the
home and were being assisted by Red Cross after the fire.
Overnight temperatures are expected to fall below freezing this week,
which may cause many families with fireplaces, wood stoves and
portable heating systems to use them. Davis issued the following
safety guidelines for auxiliary heater use:
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to prevent sparks
from flying into the room, and burn only dry, seasoned wood. Allow
ashes to cool before disposing in a metal container, which is kept a
safe distance from the home.
- For wood-burning stoves, install chimney connectors and chimneys
following manufacturer's instructions, or have a professional do the
- Maintain heating equipment and chimneys by having them cleaned and
inspected annually by a qualified professional.
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating
equipment, such as the furnace, fireplace, wood stove or portable
Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.
Comments are currently unavailable on this article