Readers sound off
Published: Monday, January 5, 2009 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Sunday, January 4, 2009 at 9:09 p.m.
* I can hardly pay my electric bill now and GRU wants me to subsidize solar for people who have a lot of money and can afford to install it.
* I thought there was a restricted use policy for county vehicles. My neighbor frequently abuses this privilege.
* Forget about AGH, let's use the stadium club as a homeless shelter.
* Residents of the unincorporated areas of Alachua County need to form some kind of a coalition to ensure that some of their money that goes to Alachua County taxes is used for purposes within the unincorporated parts of the county and not just within Gainesville for Gainesville city improvements. It doesn't seem fair that the majority of the county's money gets spent in the city of Gainesville.
* Panhandlers are still out in large numbers harassing shoppers. They are stealing the shopping carts. It has been reported. Will the police please take action on these crimes and protect our neighborhoods? We need protection — there are many of us with small children.
* What a delight — visiting Paynes Prairie on New Year's Day — hearing and seeing the 5,000 cranes visiting there. It is so fitting to remember that this day begins the collection of the half-cent sales tax dedicated to preserving other wild places. Good for us all!
* Many thanks to the fire rescue folks who responded to the wildfire last Tuesday.
* I hope that our elected officials who are going to the inauguration are paying their way out of their own money and not out of the government till.
Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.
Comments are currently unavailable on this article