Lineman Ron Wilson charged with assault


Published: Monday, November 3, 2008 at 3:50 p.m.
Last Modified: Monday, November 3, 2008 at 3:50 p.m.

Once again, Ron Wilson's Florida football career is in jeopardy following another run-in with the law.

On Oct. 16, a sworn complaint was filed against the offensive lineman, charging him with one count of assault and one count of battery. Both are misdemeanors.

According to the complaint filed by the Gainesville Police Department, Wilson allegedly struck two victims with a closed fist after getting into a verbal altercation over a female at a birthday party at the Lexington Crossing Phase 2 apartments in the early morning of Oct. 5, only hours after UF had returned home from a game at Arkansas.

According to the report, Wilson struck the first victim in the face with a closed fist, then hit another victim in the face as she attempted to step between Wilson and the first victim. The second victim sustained a broken wrist. Also, according to the report, Wilson attempted to strike a third victim who said he was in fear for his safety due to the size of Wilson.

Wilson was thrown off the team in 2007 for firing an assault rifle into the air during an altercation.

Wilson was allowed to return this season as a walk-on.

Wilson did not dress out for the past two games (Kentucky and Georgia). UF coach Urban Meyer said last week that Wilson is not practicing with the team due to his failure to meet certain expectations. He said Wilson had to take care of some business.

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

Comments are currently unavailable on this article

▲ Return to Top