Fallen soldier's heroism honored

Published: Sunday, June 1, 2008 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Saturday, May 31, 2008 at 7:46 p.m.

SHIPPENVILLE, Pa. -- Growing up in a small rural town, Ross McGinnis was more apt to get in trouble than on the honor roll. So he enlisted in the Army, and in just under a year found his soul mate, a brotherhood and even himself.

Enlarge |

Pfc. Ross McGinnis of Knox, Pa.

The Associated Press

"I just cannot wait for the day when I can connect all 3 lives into one,'' McGinnis wrote on his MySpace page. "But that day will not be for a long time.''

The 19-year-old private first class never got that chance.

He was in the gunner's hatch of a Humvee on Dec. 4, 2006, when a grenade sailed past him and into the vehicle where four other soldiers sat. He shouted a warning, then jumped onto the grenade, which blew up and killed him.

On Monday, he will be posthumously presented the nation's highest military award, the Medal of Honor.

"Ross was a hero, I mean, he was honestly the type of soldier that was trustworthy, that was reliable, that was dependable before combat. He loved doing what he was doing,'' said Ian Newland, one of the soldiers McGinnis saved.

McGinnis grew up in the small town of Knox, about 60 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, where he lived with his parents, Tom and Romayne, and older sisters Becky and Katie. His father jokes that he's a redneck: unsophisticated and living in rural northwestern Pennsylvania. He works at an auto supply store. Romayne works at Wal-Mart.

Tom McGinnis believes his son's story must be told truthfully, rough patches and all.

"He wasn't the hero in the sense that a lot of people that think of heroes,'' his father said. "He made some bad decisions, but he still turned out to be a good person. And that's really the message that I'm trying to get across by pointing out his faults. Not that I'm trying to disparage him in some way.''

So he tells of his son's arrest for being caught with marijuana in school, at age 14, and of getting expelled for the rest of eighth grade. He finished at an alternative school that he liked so much he didn't want to return to regular school.

"He didn't pick up things at school like he should, for whatever reason. And his grades always suffered,'' his father said. Eventually, Ross McGinnis decided the Army could provide him training as an automotive technician. He enlisted on his 17th birthday, June 14, 2004. "When he told us that he was going to enlist, we didn't discourage him, because we knew he wasn't college material,'' his father said.

However, once in uniform Ross proved himself a quick learner and showed leadership.

He met his girlfriend Christina, whom he called his soul mate and true love, while stationed in Germany. That's also where he developed tight bonds with his fellow soldiers.

"He definitely loved to make jokes and get everyone laughing, but when things got serious . . . you only had to tell Ross one time. He had it down,'' recalled Newland, 28, who was a sergeant when McGinnis was assigned to him in Germany. "He was a natural.''

The two became close before deploying to Iraq. McGinnis often spent weekends with Newland, his wife, daughter and son, becoming part of the family.

"That's the way my family viewed him and the other soldiers as well. We all saw him as a brother,'' said Newland, who retired in November because of his shrapnel injuries from the grenade attack.

While stationed overseas, McGinnis e-mailed his father to apologize for the problems he caused when he was young. In his reply, Tom McGinnis told his son there was no need to say he was sorry, and that he wished he had been a better provider to his family.

Ross McGinnis proudly shared the e-mail with several fellow soldiers.

"He said they bonded more that one day than they had throughout their training,'' his father said. "When he called home to tell me about it ... He says, 'You son of a bitch, you made me cry.' '' McGinnis only came home twice on leave before he was killed, the last time for a couple of weeks in the spring of 2006. His family noticed how he matured since enlisting.

"He was more reserved and more confident and seemed to stand a lot taller, although he didn't grow any while he was in the Army,'' his father said. "He was a man. Unfortunately, we never really got to know him as a man. He was a child when he left, he got to visit with us a couple times, then he was gone.''

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

Comments are currently unavailable on this article

▲ Return to Top