Blue Wave soccer breezes to 3rd straight district title

Published: Friday, January 18, 2008 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Friday, January 18, 2008 at 12:25 a.m.

It took five years, but a pair of P.K. Yonge senior girls soccer players finally stood together on the field as district 3-3A champions.

The Blue Wave breezed through district play, winning their third straight title with a 6-0 dismantling of Fort White at home Thursday.

An early 15-minute barrage gave P.K. Yonge (13-6-1) a 4-0 lead. Seniors Kelli McCrery and Mariel Mena each recorded a hat trick, both scoring two of their three goals each in the first half.

McCrery, who couldn’t team with Mena their freshman year because of injuries, scored first with a goal in the 15th minute. The 14-yard shot came after she headed the ball up and to herself before turning and putting the ball past Fort White (6-14-1) goalie Stacy Sistrunk.

Mena, who couldn’t team with McCrery the next two years because of multiple knee injuries, followed up six minutes later. After taking a throw-in pass, Mena blasted a shot from 22 yards out. The high, arcing kick went from the left sideline and sailed in over the upper-right corner of the goal.

A quick-thinking Mena caught the Indians off guard in the 26th minute. Getting an almost instant restart on a Fort White handball, Mena put in an undefended goal from 18 yards out.

“The quicker the better, because they’re not prepared,” said Mena, who last teamed with McCrery in eighth grade. “You’ve got to just kick it in there. You can’t wait for the other team. You’ve got to set the pace.”

The first-half assault finished with a McCrery 5-yard shot that bounced off of the crossbar putting her and Sistrunk on the ground. With the ball headed back toward the grounded pair, McCrery lifted her shoulders off the ground just enough to head the ball into the net.

“Thankfully we do exercises in practice where we do sit-ups and we have to jump up and head it,” McCrery said, “because that was a perfect example of where we use that in a game.”

With the life zapped out of a Fort White team that was missing five injured starters, Mena and McCrery each added a second half goal to seal the victory.

The Blue Wave will advance to a regional quarterfinal match next Thursday against an opponent to be determined.

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

Comments are currently unavailable on this article

▲ Return to Top