Fla. man dies in mobile home fire


Published: Saturday, January 5, 2008 at 3:44 p.m.
Last Modified: Saturday, January 5, 2008 at 3:44 p.m.

WINTER HAVEN, Fla. - A man was killed after a space heater set his mobile home ablaze, authorities said.

The man was identified as Andre Berlise by neighbors and the Polk County Medical Examiner's Office. However, the sheriff's office has not confirmed his identity.

Neighbor Artis Washington said he tried to save Berlise and said he could hear the man inside the home as it burned and filled with smoke.

"I can't get that sound out of my head," Washington said. "I don't think he could see a thing in there."

Authorities said the fire appeared to be accidental but an investigation continued.

"He was a nice man," said Gladys Bellman, who rented the mobile home to Berlise. "A very good man."

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

Comments are currently unavailable on this article

▲ Return to Top