Prepare now for tonight's icy temperatures
Published: Monday, January 29, 2007 at 1:41 p.m.
Last Modified: Monday, January 29, 2007 at 1:41 p.m.
A hard freeze is being predicted overnight as temperatures are expected to drop to 23 degrees in Gainesville, according to National Weather Service forecasts. Here are some tips on how to handle the cold snap:
• Make sure family members, especially the elderly, have warm, dry shelter
• Bring any outdoor pets inside
• Make sure outdoor plants are well watered
• Spray ornamental plants with a fine-mist of water to maintain a film of liquid on the foliage.
• Wrap exposed pipes in blankets
• Let spigots drip during the night
• Use precautions when using space heaters, fireplaces and candles
• Make sure smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors work
Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.
Comments are currently unavailable on this article