Man critical after fight in Gainesville home

Published: Thursday, January 25, 2007 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 11:45 p.m.

Alachua County Sheriff's deputies are looking for answers to what happened at a southwest Gainesville area home in which a man was critically injured Wednesday afternoon.

Ronald Harris, who is in his 20s, was in critical condition and undergoing surgery at an area hospital after an apparent fight at a home at 7515 SW 22nd Ave., said Sheriff's Office spokesman Sgt. Keith Faulk.

Harris suffered a gash to his neck when two men at the residence said he jumped out of a window at the home at about 2:30 p.m.

Deputies said Harris was able to run to the nearby CVS Pharmacy off Tower Road to get help.

A large bloodstain was visible by a column outside the business. A worker was cleaning the spot several hours after the incident.

Late Wednesday, officers were investigating what occurred at the home and were hoping to speak with Harris as soon as he could talk with them.

But deputies still have more questions about the incident.

Three people at the home, Amber Smith, 22, Mark Burwell, 40, and Christopher Jenkins, 37, said Harris came to the home, demanding money from the home's owner, Joe Liuzzo.

Liuzzo, deputies reported, is a relative of Anthony Liuzzo, who had owned University Centre Hotel Inc. and petitioned for bankruptcy protection in October 2002. Shands HealthCare later acquired the property off of Archer Road.

Smith, a personal assistant for Joe Liuzzo, told deputies that Harris rushed at her as she was walking into the home and forced his way inside.

He was met by two "security assistants," Burwell and Jenkins, and a fight ensued.

Burwell and Jenkins told officers Harris jumped out of the window and was injured.

Liuzzo was not home at the time, Faulk said.

Burwell, Jenkins and Smith listed the home as their residence, according to officers.

Deputies had closed off the house because of their ongoing investigation and planned to obtain a search warrant, Faulk said.

"There appears to have been a fight. Things were broken and there's blood loss," Faulk said. But, he said, "We don't know really what's going on."

Sun staff writer Alice Wallace contributed to this report.

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

Comments are currently unavailable on this article

▲ Return to Top