Going to the game? Here's what you need to know
Published: Friday, September 1, 2006 at 1:05 p.m.
Last Modified: Friday, September 1, 2006 at 1:05 p.m.
Local residents have had to suffer more than a few headaches due to road construction over the last few months. But thankfully, this weekend there shouldn't be an orange barrel in sight — or, at least, it shouldn't be blocking any lanes.
That said, the influx of the tens of thousands of Gator fans swooping on the city this weekend should still prove a hearty opponent for Gainesville's road system. When in doubt, realize that there is more than one way to get to the stadium (read: don't take Newberry Road unless your life depends on it.)
Here are some other options to navigate your way to Ben Hill Griffin Stadium from Interstate 75:
- Take exit 374 in Micanopy. Fans coming from the south will find Micanopy only 10 miles south of Gainesville, and you can shoot up U.S. 441 to Gainesville. Once you see the orange and blue lining the streets when U.S. 441 turns into SW 13th Street, you'll know you're in the right place.
- Take exit 382 on Williston Road. From there you can either turn left onto SW 34th Street and follow that to either Archer Road or W. University Avenue, or keep going to SW 13th Street and use that to make it to campus.
- Take exit 384 at Archer Road. Archer Road has many access points to campus, including at SW 34th Street, Gale Lemerand Drive, Center Drive and SW 13th Street. The stretch of Lemerand Drive that runs alongside Ben Hill Griffin Stadium will be closed to vehicular traffic two hours before kickoff.
- Take exit 390 at NW 39th Avenue. NW 39th Avenue is north of campus; so if you're coming from the north, it might be the most convenient. From 39th Avenue you can head south to University Avenue from NW 43rd Street, NW 34th Street, or NW 13th Street.
- A new law that went into effect July 1 states that scalpers can sell tickets for whatever price the buyer will agree to. However, scalpers are not allowed to sell tickets on private property (such as the University of Florida campus) without consent of the owner.
- Anyone carrying a student ticket must now have a student I.D. to be admitted. The only exception is if the student ticket bears a sticker, indicating it was purchased for full price.
- Starting at 2 p.m., the Gator Nation Tailgate party begins at Emerson Alumni Hall across from the stadium. Card
- carrying UF Alumni Association members get in free. Non
- members pay $10.
- During pre-game, which starts approximately 30 minutes before kick-off, the 1996 National Championship team will be recognized and former football letter-winners will create the players' tunnel.
Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.
Comments are currently unavailable on this article