Body of abducted clerk discovered

This image from a surveillance video recorded Wednesday at the Wal-Mart store in Tyler, Texas, shows a man the Tyler Police Department says loitered around the store before abducting an employee and driving off in her truck.

The Associated Press
Published: Saturday, January 22, 2005 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Friday, January 21, 2005 at 10:18 p.m.
TYLER, Texas - A college student whose abduction was captured on a surveillance videotape as she was leaving her clerk's job at a Wal-Mart was found shot to death Friday, and a suspect was arrested, authorities said.
The body of Megan Leann Holden, 19, was discovered on the side of a highway in western Texas.
Police said the suspect, Johnny Lee Williams, turned up Friday at an Arizona hospital with a gunshot wound unrelated to the abduction. Authorities said he was driving the woman's pickup truck, which was parked outside the hospital.
The abduction was captured in chilling detail Wednesday after the woman clocked out from the Wal-Mart in Tyler just before midnight.
The apparent abductor - a man in a long, dark coat - was seen loitering around the front entrance of the store "for a good period of time," Tyler police spokesman Don Martin said. The man also was seen on tape about 90 minutes before the abduction, emerging from a bathroom and walking around inside the store.
The tape later shows Holden getting into her truck and the man "running up behind her and either hitting her or pushing her," Martin said.
Two days later, her body was found near Stanton, about 380 miles west of Tyler.
Authorities said the suspect kept heading west as he continued his crime spree, attempting a robbery at an Arizona RV park. It was during the robbery attempt that a store worker fired the shot that landed Williams in the hospital."He said, 'This is robbery, I want all the money in the cash register,"' store worker Richie Chapman said. "And as he said that, he drew a weapon from underneath his shirt, and I drew and fired."
Williams was being held for investigation in the case in Willcox, Ariz., said Carol Capas, a spokeswoman for the Cochise County Sheriff's Department. He was turned over to FBI custody Friday afternoon.
"At this point in time, there's no doubt this was a total stranger abduction," Tyler Police Chief Gary Swindle said.
Martin said Williams, who was honorably discharged last year after four years as a Marine, had been arrested in Tyler before on drug charges.

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

Comments are currently unavailable on this article

▲ Return to Top