Vedam case may go back to grand jury


Published: Thursday, January 20, 2005 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 at 10:49 p.m.
A judge dismissed charges last year against a man accused of killing a University of Florida graduate assistant, but the case against him could be headed back to court this week.
A grand jury will again hear the case against Praveen Vedam, a source close to the investigation confirmed. Vedam's attorney Robert Rush also said Wednesday he understood a grand jury would review the case.
Vedam, 26, had been accused of killing his former roommate and friend, 24-year-old Sudheer Satti. Satti's body was found in the bedroom of his on-campus apartment on Jan. 4, 2004. He had been stabbed more than 30 times, in the first murder on UF property in at least 25 years.
Parts from Satti's missing laptop computer were found in a warehouse near Vedam's workplace and were considered among the strongest pieces of evidence in a case prosecutors acknowledged was circumstantial.
The computer's case with Satti's blood on it also was found in an air duct where Vedam worked.
But in December, about a year after the investigation started, Circuit Judge Robert Cates cited insufficient evidence and dropped the charges against Vedam.
Vedam, who is from India, has since returned to that country where his father had been hospitalized, Rush said.
Vedam has always maintained his innocence and previously said he hoped the real killer would be found.
Rush said he didn't think the decision to move forward with a grand jury hearing was proper and, if an indictment is returned, he will seek to have it dismissed on the grounds that prosecutors have no new evidence and the court has already ruled on the issue.
Lise Fisher can be reached at 374-5092.

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

Comments are currently unavailable on this article

▲ Return to Top