Right-hander Horne officially joins Gators
Published: Wednesday, January 5, 2005 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, January 5, 2005 at 12:00 a.m.
The Sun first reported of Horne's intentions to sign with UF last month.
"We are extremely excited about the addition of Alan to our program," coach Pat McMahon said. "He will bring a level of experience and determination that will help take our team to the next level. He is a first-class young man and a top pitcher."
Horne was a 2001 first-round draft pick by the Cleveland Indians out of Marianna High. He was an honorable mention freshman All-American at Ole Miss before suffering a season-ending arm injury his sophomore year. He attended Chipola Junior College last year.
Horne is believed to be in the running for a spot in Florida's starting pitching rotation this spring, and could even replace departed ace Justin Hoyman as the team's Friday night starter.
The Gators will open their season Feb. 11 when Charleston Southern visits McKethan Stadium.
-Brandon Zimmerman SFCC ATHLETICS
Saints run past Polk to sweep season series
The Saints (16-0), ranked first in the state and 10th nationally, shot 50 percent (27-for-54) from the field and used a stingy defense that forced 19 Polk (5-13) turnovers.
The Saints return to action today as they host Illinois Valley CC. Tip off is set for 7 p.m. Admission is $2 for adults, $1 for senior citizens and children under 12 and free for SFCC students, faculty and staff with a valid Santa Fe ID.
Court tosses Knievel lawsuit against ESPN
The 66-year-old Knievel and his wife, Krystal, claimed a caption to a photograph posted on the cable sports network's Web site damaged their reputations. The photograph showed Knievel, his wife and an unidentified woman above a caption that read: "Evel Knievel proves that you're never too old to be a pimp."
The Knievels said the display was defamatory because it implied the couple was involved in illegal prostitution. The lawsuit sought unspecified damages.
The San Francisco-based appeals court, ruling 2-1 Tuesday, agreed with ESPN that the caption and other related material on the site was based on humor.
"Read in the context of the satirical, risque, and sophomoric slang found on the rest of the site, the word 'pimp' cannot be reasonably interpreted as a criminal accusation," Judge A. Wallace Tashima wrote for the majority.
Mass. Lottery sponsors Red Sox trophy tour
"It seemed like a good idea at the time," he said, then smiled. "Frankly, it still does."
The Red Sox on Tuesday announced a partnership with the Massachusetts Lottery for a World Series Trophy Tour. The lottery will spend $225,000 of its $10 million advertising budget to sponsor the tour, which Lucchino said would stop in any community that requests a visit.
There are no scheduled plans yet. Lucchino expects January and February to be busy, with stops in big cities, small towns, senior centers and parks and other places fans gather.
Seeing the trophy up close evokes a range of reactions from Red Sox fans, he said.
"I've seen grown men cry. I've seen youngsters have a kind of joyful look on their face that stays with me quite a long time," Lucchino said. "For the most part, people are genuinely moved by it."
In dissent, Judge Carlos Bea said the case should go before a jury because "the word 'pimp' is reasonably susceptible to a defamatory meaning."
Woman injured by puck can proceed with suit
Gyongyi Tokolyi was struck during a March 17, 2002, game against Detroit. The puck broke her nose in three places, fractured the bones under her eye and opened a cut on her face that required 15 stitches to close, court papers say.
Tokolyi, 37, of Manhattan, sued the Garden, the Rangers and the NHL last year, saying they had not given the public sufficient warning of the danger they faced or taken adequate steps to assure spectators' safety.
Also last week, State Supreme Court Justice Saralee Evans dismissed the case against the Rangers and the NHL.
Schumacher to donate $10 million to aid in tsunami relief
Schumacher's manager Willi Weber made the pledge Tuesday in a telephone call to a fund-raiser on German television, organized in collaboration with the German Red Cross, the U.N. Children's Fund and other organizations.
A decision on how the Ferrari driver's donation will be used is to be made together with the Foreign Ministry in the next few days.
The Dec. 26 disaster killed an estimated 150,000 people and left 5 million in need.
Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.
Comments are currently unavailable on this article