Around the Region


Published: Thursday, July 1, 2004 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, July 1, 2004 at 12:59 a.m.

Third man charged in home invasion, robbery

  • A third man has been arrested in connection with a home invasion robbery in Gainesville last month.

    On May 23 a man was in his apartment on the 2000 block of SW 35th Place at 4:15 a.m. when he heard a thump at his door, according to the police report. When he opened it, he saw numerous people standing there.

    He tried to close the door, but the suspects forced it open and came inside, hitting and kicking the victim repeatedly, the report states.

    The men reportedly stole the resident's watch and wallet. He was left with visible injuries to his head, back and left arm, according to the arrest report.

    Brandon Maple, 20, of Archer, was booked into the Alachua County jail Wednesday on a charge of home invasion robbery.

    Jason Berquist, 22, and Jeffery Van Nocker Jr., 21, both of Gainesville, also were charged in the incident last week.

  • - Kathy Ciotola

    Levy County man convicted of sex crimes

  • BRONSON - A rural Levy County man faces life in prison after being convicted Wednesday of multiple sex crimes against a child.

    Jurors found Robert Nugent Gresham, 28, guilty of two counts of sexual battery on a victim younger than 12 years old and one count of lewd and lascivious molestation of a child under the age of 12.

    The case against Gresham began March 13, 2003, when family members told deputies he may have been involved with abusing a child at a rural Levy County home.

    Each sexual battery conviction carries a mandatory minimum life sentence, while the molestation conviction carries a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison.

    Gresham is expected to be sentenced in late July after a pre-sentence investigation is completed.

  • - Karen Voyles

    Florida counties suing over extra jail costs

  • TALLAHASSEE - After losing a battle in the Legislature over who pays for juvenile detention centers, Florida's counties are pushing the fight into the courts.

    The Florida Association of Counties is working on a lawsuit to challenge the constitutionality of the legislative decision to push $90 million in detention costs onto the counties this fall.

    State lawmakers argued that the transfer of the $90 million bill was part of the sweeping revamping of how Florida's courts are funded, but county officials argued the two issues were unrelated.

    The group's board of directors approved the move last week and the suit will probably be filed by mid-July, said Ginger Delegal, general counsel for the organization.

    One county - Santa Rosa County - already filed a lawsuit arguing that forcing counties to pay for pre-trial detention of juveniles is an unfunded requirement that, under the constitution, must be passed by a two-thirds vote in both the House and the Senate. That lawsuit was filed in trial court in Tallahassee more than a week ago. The state has 40 days to respond.

  • - The Associated Press

    Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

    Comments are currently unavailable on this article

    ▲ Return to Top