Published: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 at 10:55 p.m.

Running back says he's still commited to Florida

  • TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - Recruiting rumors may continue to swirl, but they don't bother Markus Manson.

    The 6-1, 195-pound running back told The Tuscaloosa (Ala.) News on Tuesday that he's still committed to Florida. High school seniors can sign national letters-of-intent on Feb. 4.

    Manson (6-1, 195) was named to The Tuscaloosa News' Super 11 after rushing for 1,701 yards in his senior season. He led the Patriots with 22 touchdowns and was a Super 12 selection by the Alabama Sports Writers Association.

    Manson, a finalist for Class 6A Back of the Year, attended a football camp at Auburn in the summer and was timed at 4.3 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

    Some reports indicated that Manson was wavering on his choice and learning toward Alabama. He said he met Tuesday with Mike Locksley, Florida's running backs coach and recruiting coordinator.

    "I'm able to have a life," said Manson. "I'm just having fun. I'm going to Florida this weekend, so it's good. I'm not stressing about it anymore.

    "People have their own opinions. They can say what they want to say. It's a free country. Nobody really called me and asked me. I think it's just people talking. People believe what they want to believe."

    - N.Y. Times Regional Newspaper Group

    Mosley glad people are taking notice

  • LAS VEGAS - In a way, Shane Mosley feels cheated.

    On the other hand, he's glad people are starting to notice who he is.

    Life for the 154-pound champion hasn't been what he expected after beating Oscar De La Hoya for a second time in September, a win he thought would finally bring him recognition as one of the top fighters in the game.

    Mosley had no sooner stepped out of the ring, though, when De La Hoya and his promoter, Bob Arum, began complaining about the judges who scored the bout and demanding an investigation of the fight.

    A few months later, Mosley's name appeared on a subpoena to testify in a steroid-linked grand jury probe in California.

    Just when he thought it couldn't get any worse, a newspaper quoted unidentified sources last week as suggesting somehow the Mosley-De La Hoya fight was fixed.

    Through it all, Mosley keeps smiling and hoping people are paying attention.

    ''I've gotten a lot of bad press, but at least it was press,'' he said. ''So, something positive did come out of it.''

    Agassi defends anti-doping program

  • MELBOURNE, Australia - Andre Agassi says tennis is a leader in the fight against drugs in sports and that he'd been tested several times in the past 12 months.

    Agassi, an eight-time Grand Slam champion, will begin the defense of his Australian Open title next week in Melbourne. The season-opening major has been overshadowed by a drug scandal involving Canadian-born British player Greg Rusedski.

    ''One of the things we can say is that our sport is the leading - or one of the leading - in drug testing,'' Agassi said Tuesday.

  • ADIDAS INTERNATIONAL: French Open champion Juan Carlos Ferrero was upset by Australian teen Chris Guccione 6-3, 7-6 (6) Tuesday in the first round.

    Guccione, an 18-year-old wild-card entry playing in his just third ATP event, closed the match with his 19th ace.

    World No. 1 Justine Henin-Hardenne opened her 2004 season with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Conchita Martinez.

    The tournament's defending women's champion, Kim Clijsters, withdrew because of an ankle injury that sidelined her during the Hopman Cup in Perth last week.

  • DAVIS CUP: With Davis Cup play starting four days after the Australian Open ends, the calendar seems to be the biggest problem for U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe.

    Andy Roddick, winner of the U.S. Open, is one of the favorites at Australia. He also is the No. 1 Davis Cup singles player for the United States, which faces Austria in the first round beginning Feb. 6 in Uncasville, Conn.

  • HEINEKEN OPEN: Defending champion Gustavo Kuerten saved a match point against former world No. 2 Alex Corretja before advancing.

  • Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

    Comments are currently unavailable on this article

    ▲ Return to Top