Newcomers say it's Selig's call on Rose


Published: Friday, January 17, 2003 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Friday, January 17, 2003 at 12:32 a.m.
NEW YORK - Baseball's newest Hall of Famers are content to let Bud Selig make the call on Pete Rose's reinstatement.
The commissioner is waiting to schedule a meeting with the 60 living Hall of Famers to discuss whether Rose should be allowed back into the game following his ban for gambling.
Both Eddie Murray and Gary Carter expressed admiration for baseball's career hits leader - but they don't want to be the ones to make the decision.
"No question Pete is a great ambassador to the game of baseball with what he accomplished on the field," Carter said Thursday. "His 4,256 hits will forever be in the Hall of Fame. The issue of reinstatement - I'm glad I don't have to be a part of it. To me, Pete is a Hall of Famer because of the great career he had. End of story."
At a news conference introducing baseball's newest Hall of Famers, Murray also tried to stay away from the issue.
"His glove, bats and uniform are already there. He's not forgotten," Murray said.
Selig had planned to meet with the members of the Hall today but postponed it last month. He would not give a timetable for the rescheduled meeting, and it appears increasingly unlikely it will happen before the start of spring training in mid-February.
"I asked them to put that off for a little bit," he said from the owners' meetings in Scottsdale, Ariz. "We will have that meeting at some appropriate point."

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

Comments are currently unavailable on this article

▲ Return to Top