Dockett charged with felony theft
Published: Thursday, January 9, 2003 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, January 9, 2003 at 1:03 a.m.
TALLAHASSEE - Florida State junior defensive tackle Darnell Dockett was charged Wednesday with felony theft for his role in receiving unauthorized discounts on merchandise purchased at a mall last month.
Dockett turned himself in at the Leon County jail and was released on $1,000 bail.
An investigator's report said Dockett and two store clerks conspired on a 90-percent discount, and he paid them money for their assistance.
Co-defendants named in an affidavit are Kambe Roberson, 19, and Taisha "Sky" Bailey, 21. The affidavit said Dockett paid $107 on Dec. 17 for merchandise valued at $1,009.78.
Police said Dockett, in an interview Dec. 20, said he knew paying a $200 fee to the clerks in exchange for the discount was wrong.
The sporting goods store, named Sports Fan-Attic, is co-owned by former Florida State star Warrick Dunn, who now plays for the Atlanta Falcons of the NFL. The store's owners initially declined to press charges.
University spokesman Rob Wilson said Dockett would not be able to participate in any athletic department activities until the case is resolved.
The case is reminiscent of a 1999 illegal discount shopping spree involving Florida State stars Peter Warrick and Laveranues Coles at a Dillard's department store. Coles, now with the New York Jets, was kicked off the team. Warrick, now with Cincinnati, was suspended for two games.
Although Dockett's professional ambitions have been hindered by a series of nagging injuries that limited him this season, he could choose to enter the NFL draft.
The 6-4, 280-pound Dockett was a dominating force as a redshirt freshman in 2000, and earned first-team Atlantic Coast Conference recognition in 2001.
He was suspended for the Sugar Bowl because of case only days after coach Bobby Bowden suspended starting quarterback Chris Rix from the game for failing to take a final exam.
The NCAA also accepted Tennessee's self-imposed penalties for recruiting infractions related to former player Eric Locke. The university will give up two football scholarships in the upcoming signing period and has banned two boosters from contributing to the athletic department for three years.
The university and the Southeastern Conference looked into possible infractions after sportswriter Wayne Rowe told The Mobile Register last May that he wired $4,500 to Martin on behalf of insurance agent Dianne Sanford in February 1999.
The investigation took so long to close because of the change in commissioners at the SEC.
"This incident has been put to rest from an investigative process and from a process of judgment on that previous investigation," athletic director Doug Dickey said Wednesday. "It has been a long time. A lot of people have spent a lot of time on this."
Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.
Comments are currently unavailable on this article