Hogtown top 10-NEED HED
Published: Wednesday, January 1, 2003 at 2:03 p.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, January 1, 2003 at 12:00 a.m.
It's New Year's Day, time for a typical Hogtown resident's Top 10 to-do list for the coming year:
1. Stop running the left-hand turn arrow at University and 13th. Make good use of the idle time at the stoplight by rolling down your windows to learn more about Krishna philosophy.
2. Take family portraits with each of the Gator Trails statues before they're auctioned off in April. Include photos in next year's holiday cards. Or this year's, since they just may be still sitting on the kitchen table.
3. Avoid weeklong pouting session if the Gators lose today's Outback Bowl. (Corollary: Put your favorite Michigan fan on speed dial for easy gloating if Gators win.)
4.Stop pretending to be a regular at the Harn Museum of Art and actually go.
5. Admit defeat and take down the altar in memory of Skeeter's restaurant. Instead, donate the incense and candles to a local church.
6. Memorize anchor stores of each section of Butler Plaza, ending the 20-minute circle-and-squint loop through the parking lot.
7. Vote in a local election. Or at least talk to someone who has.
8. Send a card and flowers to Zook family to apologize for your four-letter outbursts during the FSU game.
9. Attend a free Friday-night event at the Downtown Community Plaza. While there, learn the name and life story of the Roller Skating Man.
10. Do something to make Gainesville a better place - whether it's volunteering at St. Francis House, picking up Solo cups after the neighbors' keg party or shopping at the local farmers' market.
Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.
Comments are currently unavailable on this article