Fire leaves man homeless
Published: Wednesday, January 1, 2003 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 at 11:18 p.m.
A man was left homeless Tuesday when his northeast Gainesville home burned down.
When firefighters responded to the report of a fire at 1833 NE 1st Ave., they found flames coming from the front of the mobile home, Gainesville Fire Rescue spokesman Michael Heeder said.
The homeowner, Leon Minter, said he was outside when he noticed the fire.
"I was out front raking the yard and all of the sudden I heard some popping and the fire just came out the front door," Minter said.
Although firefighters quickly put out the blaze, the home sustained significant damage, Heeder said.
After the fire, it was hard to see what the single-wide mobile home originally looked like.
Most of it was a blackened hull with melted siding dripping off the unburned areas.
The areas that weren't burned received heat and smoke damage, Heeder said.
Investigators believe the fire started in the living room and was possibly caused by an electrical problem.
Minter, a painter for the Alachua County School Board, will stay with relatives. Minter has no homeowner's insurance.
Kathy Ciotola can be reached at 338-3109 or ciotolk@ gvillesun.com.
Comments are currently unavailable on this article