Smoke detector saves woman from house fire
Published: Friday, November 1, 2002 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, October 31, 2002 at 10:37 p.m.
A Gainesville woman had to find another place to stay Thursday night after a candle started her house on fire, authorities said.
Caitlyn Berry had just arrived home at 125 SE 10th St. at 2 p.m. when she noticed her smoke detector was beeping, said Gainesville Fire Rescue spokesman Michael Heeder. There was hazy smoke in the house.
Berry rescued her dog and called firefighters.
Firefighters arrived within three minutes and found flames shooting from the back of the house, Heeder said.
They were able to extinguish the fire in a few minutes and save most of the house. The damage was heaviest on the porch, bathroom and kitchen. The home needs to be restored before it is liveable.
Investigators believe the fire started in the bathroom from an unattended candle, Heeder said.
The smoke detector saved the home from further damage by alerting Berry quickly and could have saved her life, Heeder said.
"Had this fire erupted at night, this detector would have done more than just alert her to the fire," Heeder said. "It would have saved her life."
Gainesville Fire Rescue provides and installs free smoke detectors to city residents who need them. For more information, call 334-5088.
Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.
Comments are currently unavailable on this article