The Sunday Blog comes at you on a drizzly morning as we’re still trying to understand everything that happened Saturday:
- I am not here to defend Feleipe Franks and I still believe that the coaches know better than the media or the fans as to who should play. Dan Mullen made that very clear Saturday night. But it was true that almost every time the Gators tried to take a shot downfield the pocket collapsed and Franks had to deal with it. According to the stats, Franks was hurried seven times in the game. But if I was going to make a move at quarterback, it would be because Mullen can’t run the offense he wants to run with a quarterback who can’t run the ball. They keep talk about him being a willing runner. I’m a willing emptier of the dishwasher but it doesn’t mean I like it or am any good at it.
- Remember in the preseason when the Florida players talked about how they were going to be back on defense and wouldn’t have another year when they finished 31st in the nation in total defense? Well, they are 34th right now with a team coming in that just scored 48 points in an SEC game. If there was a way to bottle up the intensity this defense displayed against Mississippi State and LSU and slip it into the Gatorade, well, you wouldn’t see what you saw Saturday. No juice in the crowd, no juice on the field. But that’s just an excuse.
- Filling out my AP ballot has been more difficult than ever this season, but usually the hardest part is the last five. This week, it was the middle 10. I’m not proud of ranking Syracuse and Miss. State and Auburn and Texas as high as I did but you just run out of really good teams. On the other hand, the Alabama-LSU game sure is going to make it easy to do my Heisman Trophy vote. There are more viable candidates than usual out there, but there’s only one Tua Tagovailoa.
- This past weekend was such a big deal and it kind of feels like college football season is over until the playoffs, which stinks. But you never know what’s going to happen and with a noon game this week, I’ll get to watch a lot of it. Here’s your four-pack:
* Ohio State at Michigan State, Noon, Fox.
* Miss. State at Alabama, 3:30 p.m., CBS.
* Auburn at Georgia, 6 p.m., ESPN.
* Clemson at Boston College, 8 p.m., ABC.